Event Schedule for SURCA 2024
Monday, March 25, 2024
Full Schedule by Event Phase
- CUB Senior Ballroom
- Noon – 2:00 p.m. → Presenters hang their own posters in the CUB Senior Ballroom according to assigned spaces. Staff will be available to assist, as needed.
- 2:00 p.m. → Judges’ check-in. The doors of the CUB Senior Ballroom open to judges only to go inside and check-in for SURCA 2024.
- 2:00 – 2:45 p.m. → Judges evaluate posters only. During this phase of the event, SURCA judges will have a chance to walk around the room and get acquainted with the posters of the students whose presentations they will evaluate.
- 2:45 – 3:30 p.m. → Students enter and present to judges. The ballroom doors will open promptly to admit our student presenters at 2:45 p.m. Presenters will enter the ballroom and wait by their posters to begin giving their presentations to the judges who will evaluate their mentored research, scholarly, and creative activities using the SURCA Judging Rubric.
- 3:30 – 4:45 p.m. → All other guests enter. Students continue presenting to judges, as well as members of the university community and public. At 3:30 p.m., members of the university community and the public will be invited into the ballroom to interact with our student presenters and listen to their presentations. Judges will also continue to evaluate the presentations of the students to which they are assigned during this time.
- 4:00 p.m. (PDT) → Scores are due from judges. At this time, the SURCA event team will complete the final download of scores from the RocketJudge app, which judges use to submit their evaluations of student presentations.
- CUB Auditorium
- 5:00 p.m. (PDT) → SURCA Awards Ceremony. Everyone—including judges and members of the university community and public—is invited to the SURCA Awards Ceremony! Join us in acknowledging the accomplishments of all our student researchers and their mentors, and celebrating those student presenters who will receive awards.
Details on Attending SURCA by Role at the Event
For Our Guests Visiting the Event
- Everyone who is not presenting or judging—including members of the community or WSU students, faculty, and staff—is invited to experience the presentations of our undergraduate researchers first-hand starting at 3:30 p.m.
- Student presenters are always encouraged to be prepared to speak about their work to a general audience. Moreover, the chance to present their research, scholarly, or creative work to members the community or WSU students, faculty, and staff is a highly valuable opportunity to practice an important, lifelong skill of being ready to discuss the details and significance of their findings with anyone.
For Presenters and Judges Participating in the Event
- Judges will evaluate posters from 2:00-2:45 p.m. in the CUB Senior Ballroom. During this time, no student presenters are present.
- Student presenters enter the room at 2:45 p.m. and stand at their poster to present their work to judges until 4:45 p.m. Most students can expect 2-3 judges to visit their poster over the course of the event.
- Students, please note that from 3:30-4:45 p.m., faculty, staff, and students not presenting at SURCA, and the community, are invited to examine your posters and talk to you about your work. Doors will open promptly at 3:30 p.m.
All Event Attendees and Participants
- Please also plan to attend the SURCA Awards Ceremony starting at 5:00 p.m. in the CUB Auditorium! The ceremony generally lists approximately 45 minutes. It is an exciting time of acknowledging the accomplishments of all our student researchers and their mentors, and celebrating those who receive recognition at SURCA in the form of awards for their work.
Additional Details about Attending SURCA
Faculty Who Are Teaching Spring Classes
We encourage you to include SURCA in-person attendance and assignments as part of your class. If you have questions, please contact UG.email@example.com.
Having Your Class Present at SURCA
If you are teaching a course and would like to include a SURCA presentation involving mentored research, scholarship, and creative activity, this is exactly the type of participation that we highly encourage. Student presenters can work in teams and submit their abstract as co-presenters, or they may work individually. It is important that the students have a faculty mentor to guide them on their progress.
Mentors of Undergraduate Presenters
We welcome you to both the SURCA presentation session and the awards ceremony, where mentors will be recognized along with their award-winning students. We also encourage you to serve as a judge at SURCA—your experience with mentoring your own students makes you well suited to evaluate other students’ presentations.
WSU Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community
You are cordially invited to attend the SURCA poster session and awards ceremony. If you have any questions about the event, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.