Information for Judges at SURCA
SURCA 2018 Abstract Book
Who can judge at SURCA?
- Faculty and post-docs from a post-secondary educational institution
- Anyone with expertise and work experience from industry, government, non-profit organizations, and other entities outside of WSU
What if I am from off campus?
We are delighted to have you as a judge and we will do everything possible to make your visit to WSU an enjoyable one. We will provide complimentary parking. Contact UGresearch@wsu.edu for information.
How Much Time Will Judging Take?
- In advance of the event Please review as soon as possible all abstracts assigned to you. They will be online in a downloadable pdf of the abstract book. You will be notified by email as soon as the book has been posted and is available to you.
- 2:00-3:45 p.m. You will visit each poster assigned to you at least twice in this time period, plus complete and submit your scoring sheets and written feedback forms for presenters. From 2:00-2:45 p.m., you will visit your assigned posters but no students will be in the room. At 2:45 p.m., the doors open and presenters will enter the room and wait by their posters for you; you will re-visit each poster to hear student presentations and ask questions. Please adjust your time carefully so that, within this one hour, you can interact in person with all of your presenters and also complete and turn in the scoring sheets and feedback forms. NOTE: The public will be invited into the room starting at 3:30 p.m., but as a judge, you have priority to talk with your presenters.
- 3:45 p.m. All forms must be turned in for tallying.
- 3:45-5:00 p.m. Enjoy this time to look at more posters and talk to students (optional).
- 5:00-5:45 p.m. You are invited to attend the award ceremony (optional).
Will I Be Judging Posters in My Own Field?
You select your preference for the categories that you wish to judge.
How Judging Works
- You will be assigned 2–4 posters to judge. In advance of the event, read about your presenters’ research in an online abstract book. At the event, you will spend about 1.75 hours total (1) visiting your posters without students present, and, then (2) visit the posters again with presenters at their posters, and, (3) completing scoring sheets and feedback forms.
- For each poster that you have been assigned, you will get: (1) a two-sided sheet that combines a judging rubric with a score sheet, and (2) a separate feedback form for your valuable and insightful personal notes and suggestions to presenters.
- For your convenience and comfort, there are always seats in the event room, plus a nearby room is that is specially reserved for judges. It offers you a peaceful environment where you can sit at a table, work on your score sheets and feedback forms, enjoy refreshments, and visit with other judges.
- SURCA staff will be identifiable by badges they will wear, and are available to assist you and get answers to your questions.